Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:30:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Haavard Vaagstoel <havardjv@gudmund.vgs.no>
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do newbies want?

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Joey Garcia wrote:

> Coming from a GUI enviroment...(Windows)...I feel that GUI is very
> important. Most of the stuff I do depends on a GUI enviroment.  KDE is a
> great enviroment for people migrating from Windows or something.  It takes
> some work to set up, and if you are compiling it from the source...then
> you will need alot of spare time (unless you're on a Pentium II 333 or
> something).
>
> Anyways, I agree with you...more GUI setup help would be good.  I have
> found that the easiest way to set up X is by using this program called
> XF86Setup, because xf86config is just way too confusing.

Ah, yes, XF86Setup is colorful, mouse controlled and probably more simple
to understand right away if you're coming from MS Windows. There are downs
of it, though. As far as I can recall, it has nowhere near the number of
options found in xf86config (which, in turn, lacks many of the possible
options that can be set in the XF86Config file manually). If GUI setup
tools shall really be a help to people, they need to offer them the lot --
they must give the opportunity to set any option that for instance can be
set by modifying the config files. In short, they must be "good enough".

If they are not, we stand the risk that these tools will rather limit the
users control of his system, than making it more easy.
--
Haavard Vaagstoel <havardjv@gudmund.vgs.no>