Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:45:04 -0500
From:      Andy Firman <andy@firman.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   need help getting around kern/70401 so I can load ipl.ko

I have not been able to get ipfilter working on a system and
it is because I don't have INET6 in my custom kernel, and therefore
the system cannot load the ipl.ko module.  Here is the issue:

Can someone help me understand this following fix?
Fix:
Tweak around USE_INET6 option in /sys/contrib/ipfilter/netinet/ip_compat.h
to cover the case when there is no INET6 in the kernel and ipfilter is
loaded as KLD.

Or should I just go back and compile the GENERIC kernel?  There is no
problem running the GENERIC kernel from what I can tell.
This is a production system, so compiling the kernel makes me nervous.

Would I simply do this?:

# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
# make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC