Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 01:07:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        jim@starshine.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: text = 0xe3000 -   -- and locks:  Why?

> Ugh.  This is ugly.  Put on the long rubber gloves and dig in...
>
> On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Jim Dennis wrote:
> > 	Here's the situation:
> OK so far.
> > 	First problem:
> > 		Hangs after ze0 or zp0.
> Disable 'em from UserConfig (-c on the Boot: prompt).

	done (as I said)
> > 		Solution:  boot with the -c option, ls the configured
> > 					devices, disable npx0
> > 					(also used visual and disabled all of the
> > 				    other unecessary drivers).
>
> Your math copro must not be 387 compatible then.  While you're at it,
> disable any other device you don't have.

	I'm not worried about the mathco (or is it a "mothco" in this
	case).  Although Linux seems to like it just fine -- math
	emulation isn't built into my kernel (something I found out when
	I temporarily removed it).

> Are you pressing <W>rite?  Don't; it's seriously broken.

	Nope.  I learned not to do that from the last time you
	told me it was broken (a couple of months ago -- on
	one of those Dell Dimension P133's).

> Screwy.  Your IDE controller must be interfereing somehow, maybe it has
> the same problem as the Promise's do?

	The IDE has no BIOS extensions.  No ROM's at all.  It is
	just straight PC clone stuff.  Also my no name paddleboard
	exhibited the same failure mode.

> Sounds like a corrupted install.  I'd try deleting the FreeBSD partition
> and start all over, and this time no <W>rites.

	Alright.  One more time into the breach my friends.
	I was really hoping I could salvage this by copying in
	a different kernel and getting that to boot but we'll see.

	I suppose I wouldn't be so frustrated -- except that it
	boots fine from floppy and it works so well from in Linux.

	(I'm getting really irritated with my local friends who's
	answer is "get a newer machine" -- I have several newer machines --
	but the 386 is still a fine workhorse and I don't see any reason
	to throw it away over this).  I still use my XT's for some tasks
	(I'm about to install a voice mail board in one of them in fact).

	One of them (Hugh Daniels -- uses FreeBSD on any clone he comes
	across and NetBSD on his SPARC's) suggested that it might be
	something that the kernel is tripping over in memory.  I was
	thinking of some sort of DMA channel conflict.  It's really got
	me going.

Jim Dennis,
Starshine Technical Services