Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 02:21:00 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: t-1 from whom?

At 08:46 PM 10/3/98 -0700, Randy A. Katz wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I know I'm coming in a bit late here but I had a T-1 with at-work.
>
>The connection speed is good most of the time.
>
>The daytime service is ok. The nightime service is non-existent but what do
>you expect from the price (review 1st tier providers price for a T-1)?
>
>They do not tolerate SPAM at all so if you are adding new customers who
>have to be dealt with make sure you have an administrative staff that can
>do it in a timely manner because they will do things like:
>
>	1. Put a filter on you without warning and wait for you to call the next
>day. They like to put the filter on on Saturday night...that can really
>kill a business.
>	2. Tell you you have to cancel xyz client now and not forward you the
>"proof" even when asked to.

Not to digress, but this seems a bit extreme.  Is an AUP part of the contract, which explains the 2nd part, but the first is a bit much.

There is quite a difference between an admin at an ISP disabling a user, but an upstream provider slapping a filter on an ISP!?  Unreasonable, especially with no warning.  Do that a few times in a malicious manner and if is not explicity in the contract...

Does not sound like a place to recommend to anyone.

OTOH, just received a pleasant reply to complain with a local ISP user that spammed me at 2 addresses.  Sounds like they have a one warning policy, which is my preference.  The thing that irks me is spam that shows up with my listmail address.  Wonder if either the 'list users' feature is still active, or if they are being grabbed from the mailing list directly.  Not much can be done about the 2nd reason, except lurk.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net