Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:39:34 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        ports@freebsd.org, dirk@freebsd.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is there a mysql user that want to save a FreeBSD box ?

Sorry for crossposting in ports, chat ad to mantainer itself... but all
my previous email on this topic were not answered, but I really need a
quick , very quick answer...

Hi,
I am doing a project for my university and I need to use a database.
We worked great with PostreSQL, but now it has a big limitation on the
query size (8kb) and we have to add text records (via Web) of about
70-100kb so we have to looking for other options.

We arrive to MySql that seems to not suffers from this limitation and I
have installed it, but our port seems not able to make the MySql socket
/tmp/mysql.sock at all...
We need that because the product we are using for manage the database
remotely is HeiTML and it needs it to work.

The bad news is that the LINUX rpm package works well and it create the
right socket.

Linux
[root@seaside /]# find . -name "*.sock" -print
./var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
[root@seaside /]#

FreeBSD
seaside:/# find . -name "*.sock" -print
seaside:/#

and to make thing manually :

seaside:/# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh
 mysql
seaside:/# ll /tmp/
total 1
drwxrwxrwt  2 root  wheel  512 Jul 25 09:48 vi.recover
seaside:/#

seaside:/# ps -auxc | grep mysql
mysql    438  0.0  1.4 11008 1856  p2  I    10:33AM   0:00.03 mysqld

Now on tuesday perhaps I have to wipe my FreeBSD (freebsd.ds.unifi.it)
box (it was the first in a Linux jungle, and perhaps :-( also the last)
and installed another Linux box.
It was a very annoying thing because I make a big advocacy to FreeBSD
there and I think I can continue to replace Linux boxes with FreeBSD
ones, but ...

Probably is a my fault, and what seems a big problem is a little thing,
but the default port installed by a plain make install in the port dir
make this situation and I was not able to correct this.
I really tried to change the configure args by adding the line to
explicit set the path of the socket but also that is not working...

I then dig in the script that starts the server
(/usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld)and I found :

#Default communication ports
#MYSQL_TCP_PORT=3306
if test -z "$MYSQL_UNIX_PORT"
then
  MYSQL_UNIX_PORT="/tmp/mysql.sock"
  export MYSQL_UNIX_PORT
fi
#export MYSQL_TCP_PORT

that seems to handle the socket, but probably make the right thing,
becaus e the socket is never created...

Please let me know...

Thanks for attention...

--