Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 10:21:13 GMT
From:      PEB@amleth.demon.co.uk (Paul E. Bennett)
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PAO status wrt FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE

I recently sent the following to a Mr. Hosokawa bu have had no response
so far. I am re-posting it here just in case anyone else has knowledge
of the answers. I found the PAO site through the daemon news site and
it looked like it might be an answer to my PCMCIA problems. However,
as a relative newbie to FreeBSD and Unix style OS's, I thought I would
ask first.

I will transpose any of dmesg output if that helps any as others may
be able to see better what is going on.

PCMCIA Cards, PAO status relative to FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
Hi,

  I have a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop which is currently running
FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE but without the use of the PCMCIA card slots.
The pcmcia controller appears to be included on irq11 despite
trying to keep it out of the picture and I am inclined to believe
that the LCD display is running from it (and maybeinternal sound
as well). The BIOS is reportedly based on 1988 vintage Pheonix but
with much more recent work by Dell. There are no options for
switching off the Plug-and-Play mode and no reportage of IRQ's used
by hardware within the BIOS. I leave the CD-ROM drive in the bay and
attach the Floppy to the Printer Port connector when I need it. RS232,
USB and IrDa ports are enabled in BIOS as sio0, sio2, and sio3
respectively.

The pc-card controller reports in as:-

pcic-pci0: <TI PCI-1225 PCI - CardBus Bridge> irq 11 at device 3.0
           on pci0

The ATI mobility card is also claiming irq 11.

During the initial loading (using Visual facilities) the option for
setting the irq for pcic0 was not offered. Trying with the CLI mode
for installation set-up got in a muddle with the floppy disk drive
and hung the system (maybe my fault there though).

I have a choice of cards for the PCMCIA slots.

Silicom EtherModem ECM36 - Ethernet 10/100 and 36k Modem.
Aztel Fast Ethernet 10/100.

Both cards are reportedly NE2000 compatible for the ethernet connection.
The Silicom reports as 16550 in other machines (Win95).

Either card being inserted will hang the machine.

If inserted before power up machine hangs during boot displaying the
line "plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0" as the last item.

I install FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE from the four CD set (November 2000
edition). I am looking for a helpful suggestion. Would changing the
configuration files to match the example you give on your web-site
(PAO3) be any help to me in this matter?