Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 00:47:22 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        dayton+freebsd-stable@overx.com
Cc:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dufus.[...] daily run output -- summer time

Soren Dayton wrote:

> > DRT> At least the 4.0-STABLE side, despite the error reported by
> > DRT> several on this list, managed to get the time right.
> >
> > The error is in the date program's ability to tell you the time X
> > hours ago, when that X is during the leap-ahead hour.  I consider this
> > a bug in date, as my example showed.  The time exists, date just can't
> > tell you what it is.
>
> Also, I noticed that cron doesn't handle the leap-hour case.

	Well, it does handle it, basically by ignoring it. This is not an
oversight however, it's essentially by design. When you start asking
yourself questions about what exactly it should do in those various
situations, you can quickly cause yourself a brain bleed. Much better to
handle the situation more appropriately by carefully scheduling your
cron jobs.

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.