Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:11:48 +0200
From:      Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIXED -->  Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...

To add my (very limited) experience to this thread, here is what occured to
me. Recently a PC of my lab (running Win95, the only one under this OS) went out of service
so we took an old one running Linux and tried to install Win95 on it. We
stuffed the old NIC and SoundBlaster and SCSI (Symbios) card in it and began
installation. At the end Windows did not see the NIC nor the SCSI card.
After spending one full day playing with the cards and rebooting, still no
luck. Note that we have no experience with MS Os's. Finally i discovered that
the BIOS was not in the PNP OS mode. Changing that, miracle, the NIC was seen
but not the SCSI card. After several more reboots, removing the drivers for
the Soundblaster and so on, Win finally succeeded in putting all 3 cards in
different IRQ's and having them functional. However the Soundblaster never
found the usual setting of IRQ 5 etc. that is so easy to get using
isapnp under Linux or pnp command under FreeBSD. Some days later i upgraded my
old home PC, adding a NIC, and same problem. I had to change the AMD PC-NEt
PCI for a 3 COm and play the same game with the Soundblaster to see the NIC.

Moral of the story. It is plain untrue that Windows sees all hardware in
a straightfoward way. One may need to fiddle very much with BIOS settings
and it is very long and guesswork, involving a lot of reboots. It is much
easier to use tools such as pnpdump (linux) or pnpinfo (freebsd) and
issue the proper configuration commands. Having an automatic procedure is
nice, if it works. But there is no insurance that it will work even under
Windows and with the manufacturer provided drivers.

--

Michel TALON