Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:45:20 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody working on devd?

In message <200111272243.fARMhbM17326@harmony.village.org> Warner Losh writes:
: But pccard doesn't deal in terms of dev_t, but rather device_t.  The
: pccard bus system has no earthly clue what you just added to the
: system.  Plus, unless jlemon has been busy, the network drivers do not
: add dev_t's.
:
: : The advantages of this approach is that it's very simple, doesn't
: : strictly depend on devfs, can probably be used to replace pccardd and
: : usbd (although I haven't looked at the latter much), and if we stick a
: : call to the hypothetical notify_userland() function in make_dev(), it
: : can somewhat be used to control permissions in /dev, although not
: : satisfactorily.
:
: I dislike this approach because it depends on dev_t rather than
: device_t.  And there's no way to notify userland that "The bus says
: the plug and play info is XYZ, but no driver attached." so that the
: daemon can load the right driver.

I'd also point out that devfsd, in my world view, dealt with dev_t,
while devd dealt with device_t.

Warner