Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:51:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        "Edward P. Katz" <katz@robotics.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Newbie 3 questions.

On 08-Jun-98 Edward P. Katz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm considering plunging into FreeBSD rather than LINUX and would like
> to ask 3 questions:
>
> 1.  First, does FreeBSD X windows support multiple monitors
>     (e.g. 3 monitors and interface cards on one PC as in display:0.1,
>     display:0.2, display:0.3)?

X in general YES. For XFree86 you may need some specific X-server.

> 2.  Can the COM1 serial port be configured as the console
>     (I.e. have no monitor, but use an ASCII terminal as the system
>     console)?

Sure

> 3.  Folklore has it that for server kinds of applications, that
>     FreeBSD is the way to go.  But for an individual workstation
>     applications (e.g. X Windows, X Term, etc.) LINUX gets the
>     popular nod (at least from the sample space I've already tapped).
>     What is your response to this, and how does X Windows under
>     FreeBSD compare to X Windows under LINUX?

Hm ...
1. Running XFree86-3.3.2
2. Heavily using Khoros-2.2.0.0 for digital-image/signal-processing.
   Linked it against the GL-clone MesaGL-2.6
3. Working on a high-performance volume-renderer for X (programming with
   XEmacs-20.4)
4. Debugging (if needed) with ddd-2.2.3 [ X-GUI for gdb and other debugger ]
5. Using StarOffice-4.0 sometimes
..

=> Every day impressed by the stability and performance of FreeBSD.

Would you consider this to be "individual workstation applications" ?

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>