Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 17:26:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> Ah yes but:
> now that you have a sup+cvs setup, you can keep your diff sets up-to date
> relatively easily, and if you send them as diffs
> then there is a good chance that even if there is a time-lag induced
> collision, it will be caught and fixed,
> also many files get changes that are automatically resolved..

I have uploaded a FS_PATCHED.diff.gz to incoming on freefall.

This was generated with "cvs diff -c" in /sys.

The output doesn't look particularly useful as input to "patch", unless
you write an awk/perl script to reformat the "cvs diff" file information
(this seems to be more work than checking out a spamable tree).

> as long as you don't check in your changes in your cvs tree, it's much
> more resistant to spamming, to do it this way..

I don't check in my changes to my CVS tree.

> > I can provide the changes as diffs if you need them that way; I'll warn
> > you that you'll be in exactly the same boat applying them as the original
> > diff sets I sent (that's why I went to the trouble of sup + cvs + ...).
>
> err why?

See above.  "cvs diff -c" does not result in a file that can be used as
input to "patch" without some post-processing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.