Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 18:01:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        freyes@inch.com
Cc:        dscheidt@enteract.com, tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD lightness: Free/Net/Open

> >They were 386-SX/16's with only 4M of memory each, and 512k of
> >video RAM.
>
> Given that then I am beggining to feel more hopefull those 486s will do
> the job. :-)

Be sure you use a different machine as the font server and/or
put the fonts on local disk.

> >This was back in the 1.1.5.1 days, using a stripped kernel and
> >netboot.exe
>
> What is netboot.exe?

A program to boot FreeBSD from a running Windows 3.x or DOS
machine.

> What part of the kernel did you "strip out"?

All unused drivers, filesystems, etc..

> Wouldn't a custom kernel do the job or are there savings to be made
> from taking certain things out?

Custom := stripped.

> I would be hesitant to even try taking things out of the kernel..

Don't worry about removing NFS or the other hardware that isn't
detected.  There wasn't sound support at the time, so ripping
out sound support, if you aren't going to be running a sound server,
might be a good idea, too.

I was actually able to get a really stripped 1.1.5.1 kernel to
boot on a 1M ACER 386 box (yes, that's right: 1M).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.