Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 14:46:15 -0400
From:      "Michael S. O'Donnell" <mso@bus.net>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The ultimate board!

> one write per minute would be 120 years and one write per
> hour would be 7200 years.

regardless of cycling, mtbf of today's submicron design limits us to 10 years.
that pretty much goes for every part on the board.  if you have an application
which calls for more than that, you'll need to keep component temperature
at or below 25 degrees C (although a write cyle limit is a write cycle limit).
we all have enjoyed a lot of use from old 386, 486, HC, and 8051 hardware
that lasted seemingly forever but, in my heart of hearts, i beleive those days
have gone.

> So, maybe this is the right time for the next InterJet...

> bring that Whatchamacallit to market today

compile a hardware (xx storage, 486 running at whatever, yy ether
ports expandable to zz, compatability with supermegafragalistic opto magic,
yellowish greentooth radio magic, T1, dsl, et cetera) and functionality
wishlist (i'm unfamiliar with these designs).  i'm pretty short on time but,
i'd be glad to look into trying to put something together.  we could get
started on something common like a pc104 platform and attack it
piecemeal to find bottlenecks  and cost centers.  once we've hammered
it out i'll design a custom board and FPGAs.  i'm paying around $50
per board for one-offs (plus components) and prices will drop
precipitously once we get into volumes of 100s.

i'm desperate for a challenge (i'm designing battery chargers right now and
it is getting mighty sleepy) and am willing to carry a fair amount of the
development cost.  my abilities will limit my contribution to the software
end to around nil.

Michael O'Donnell
mso at bus dot net