Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:13:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Tony Alexander <kojak@i.am>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony Playstations..

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Tony Alexander wrote:

>   Indeed the playstation uses a 32-bit RISC R3000 (33MHz) with 2 caches
> has 2MB of main memory (1MB of graphics memory) and super fast graphics
> processing unit. I'm also a proud owner of a 'net yaroze development
> system' which is basically a black playstation with a serial cable and
> development kit. If you ever considered hacking your own games then
> I recommend one of these beasts although I think Sony have suspended
> distributing these for the moment (see http://www.netyaroze.com/ for
> details). There are some limitations on how you distribute your source
> but it is like a small open source community (we have our own members
> site). They even use the Gnu 'c' development tools (ported to windows
> though) but I'm trying to get it working under FreeBSD. I've managed
> to hack to the playstation using 'cu' but unable to transfer files atm.
>   Its a shame but the Risc processors seem to be at risk (sorry *wink*)
> because SGI have decided to bring out some new boxes using the intel
> processors and possibly dropping RISC altogether. I also read somewhere
> that Intel bought up the alpha risc processors *sniffle*.

SGI isn't dropping their MIPS based risc machines anytime soon.  They
claim they'll go merced once it's shipped, and proven it's as fast as
intel claims it'll be.  Since it will never ship, and based on intel's
track record, won't come near the performance they claim prior to release,
I don't see SGI dropping MIPS anytime soon.  They are building intel based
NT boxes as low end graphics workstations.  SGI have announced their
commitment to Irix and risc based workstations for the forseeable future.

This message composed on an R4600 based Indy, running Irix 6.2.

Jamie Bowden

--
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)