Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:24:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VPN and roaming Windows 2K users

[snip]

> > > I use racoon and IPSEC between offices with FreeBSD boxes on each end.
> >
> > Have you ever tried using vtun between the FreeBSD machines?  I've never
> > used racoon/IPsec between FreeBSD machines, but I was overjoyed at the
> > simplicity and workability of vtun.
> > Just curious if anyone has used both that could compare them.
>
> Yes, I used vtun for about a year. It worked fine as long as the network
> stayed up between here and the West Coast, but, when it went down for
> any length of time, which happens quite regularly in the middle of the night,
> it wouldn't reestablish. I find that IPSEC is more robust and you don't need
> to run PPP over it (although technically, you don't have to with vtun).
> IPSEC stays up and reestablishes itself.

I've never run ipsec, but have used vtun for about 3 years b/n 4 different
DSL/cablemodem setups and it re-establishes it's connections for me... at
least I've never had a problem with it...  from the man page:

       persist yes|keep|no
              persist mode.  If  yes,  the  client  will  try  to
              reconnect  to  the server after connection termina-
              tion.  If keep, the client will not remove and  re-
              add  the  tunXX  or tapXX device when reconnecting.
              If no, the client will exit (default).  This option
              is ignored by the server.

-philip