Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 2002 12:14:25 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        anderson@centtech.com
Cc:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>, blackend@FreeBSD.ORG, cjuniet@entreview.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

Eric Anderson wrote:
> Tom Rhodes wrote:
>

>> It sounds impossible with over 7000 ports and only around 100 port
>> committers.  Considering feature changes when ports are updated, along
>> with the fact that a handful of people just don't use the ports they
>> Maintain, just make sure it builds ;)
>>
>> Lets not make the FreeBSD committer's jobs more difficult than they
>> already are :P
>

> WO! I'm not suggesting the ports committers would do this in addition!
> I'm suggesting we have separate volunteers for this function -
> basically, anyone can submit a "port review", and there would be a small
> number of people actually committing the port reviews to the site.
> There are 7000 ports, that are maintained, committed, etc, by how many
> port committers?  I'm certain that not all would be reviewed (although
> that would be nice), and that committing a review would not be as time
> consuming as tracking a port itself, so I don't think it would require
> that many people to "commit" the port reviews.  I'm of course offering
> to do it.
>
> Eric

The idea isn't bad, but it should be seperate from the FreeBSD project,
mainly because I dislike good/bad reviews of third party software on
the main site.  Regardless if its helpful for people or not, it doesn't
look good.  Perhaps I'm being wierd about it, but its a good idea as
long as its kept seperate from the main project ;)  Thats my .02 hehe

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.Pittgoth.com Gothic Discussion Forum