Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2000 22:51:09 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Subject:   RE: 3com AirConnect (was Re: Addtron wireless awp-100 )

On 06-Nov-00 Mike Smith wrote:

>> Allow me to hijack this thread ...  :)
>>
>> Does anyone know what the story is on the 3Com AirConnect cards
>> wrt to chipsets and possible FreeBSD support?
>
> Bill Paul gutted one at the 'con.  It contains a Harris chip, but there's
> no sign of the AMD part.  I'm not sure whether that's because it's
> embedded in the Harris part, or whether there's something else funky
> going on.  If there's Linux support for it, we might be able to learn
> something from that.  At any rate, Warner has the card now.

There are only a few people that make 802.11{fh|ds|a} chips:

        802.11-Frequency Hopping 2Mb/s
                Raytheon, using their own MAC (chip is made by VLSI) and
                  discrete RF
                Current(ish) cards from Webgear

                Oki, using the 7730 MAC and typically partnered with an old
                  Hewlett Packard RF chipset
                Current(ish) cards from NDC Comms. InstantWave

        802.11-Direct Sequence 2Mb/s
                Harris/Intersil, (Prism) using a variety of MACs e.g. AMD/Atmel
                Many vendors using the already mentioned reference designs

                Lucent using the WaveLan chips (Hermes)
                Many vendors using reference designs

        802.11b-Direct Sequence 11Mb/s
                Harris/Intersil, (Prism II) ditto above

                Lucent/Orinoco. ditto above

        802.11a-OFDM 54Mb/s
                Radidata and a couple of others have announced chipsets, but
                this stuff is not in products yet. Will be v. nice.
                Not many MACs announced yet.

        A few people have their own chipsets for their own products like Proxim.

I can probably find out more from work - we've had a hand in some of the above.

Duncan

---