Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 17:56:43 -0500
From:      Ben Bryan <bbryan@umr.edu>
To:        "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Socket 7 class chip sets

At 11:25 27-09-97 -0400, you wrote:

>Does anybody have experience with non-Intel chipset boards with the
>AMD K-6 and/or the Cyrix 686MX cpus?  I just ordered a batch of Asus
>VX97 mainboards from one of my suppliers for some Win95 workstations,
>and he cliams that Intel has stopped production of both the VX _and_
>the HX chipsets...

I hadn't heard they'd stopped production on HX...
Anyway, look for a board based on the VIA VP-2 like the PA-2007.  Fast and
stable, up to 1mb L2 cache and can cache up to 512mb of memory.  Can only get
to 256mb using sdram, though.  There's also a new SiS chipset that can cache
512mb and I hear it's good, but I have no experience with it.
Ben Bryan
ME/CS
University of Missouri-Rolla

Listen to KMNR, you fools.  89.7fm           http://www.umr.edu/~kmnr