Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 18:16:23 -0700
From:      Terry Lee <terryl@ienet.com>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        iap@vma.cc.nd.edu, linuxisp@lightning.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, os2-isp@dental.stat.com
Subject:   Re: The FCC wants you!!!

Michael Dillon wrote:
> If you are an American ISP, you had better take note of this. Canadian
> ISP's have already discovered that filing comments with the CRTC (Canadian
> version of the FCC) is a potent force that CAN make things happen. If you,
> the reader of this message, are just a sysadmin grunt, please pass it on
> to the boss. This is important stuff.

This IS a big deal.

The latest developments on this that I can find are at:

http://home.navisoft.com/nspi/n1.html

http://wireless.oldcolo.com/fcc96193.txt (be sure to look at sections 43-48
and 66)

http://www.warpspeed.com/appleniipetitionrelate_331.html (old stuff still)

As it stands, the FCC is proposing to limit use of the newly allocated
spectrum to short range applications (50-100 meters).  However, the technology
is capable of medium range multi-megabit transmissions up to 15 km!  This is
the major issue of concern for regional ISPs, and the FCC has left this issue
open for further comment.

Apple is the main proponent of this longer range use.  The opponents are
companies like AT&T, and other monster telecommunications companies who have a
vested interest in keeping long range communications as restrictive as
possible.

Here's how to comment:

         66.  Comment.  Pursuant to applicable procedures set forth
in Sections 1.415 and 1.419 of the Commission's Rules, interested
parties may file comments on or before [Sixty days after the date of
publication in the Federal Register], and reply comments on or
before [Ninety days after the date of publication in the Federal
Register].  All relevant and timely comments will be considered by
the Commission before final action is taken in this proceeding.  To
file formally in this proceeding, participants must file an original
and four copies of all comments, reply comments, and supporting
comments.  If participants want each Commissioner to receive a
personal copy of their comments, an original plus nine comments must
be filed.  Comments and reply comments should be sent to Office of
the Secretary, Federal Communications Commission, Washington, DC
20554.  Comments and reply comments will be available for public
inspection during regular business hours in the FCC Reference Center
(Room 239) of the Federal Communications Commission, 1919 M Street,
N.W., Washington, DC 20554. Additionally, informal comments may be
filed over the Internet to 96-102@fcc.gov.

I believe formal comments should be submitted with the following first page
header:

                                 Before the
                      Federal Communications Commission
                           Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of                          )
                                          )
Amendment of the Commission’s Rules to    )     ET Docket No. 96-102
Provide for Unlicensed NII/SUPERNet       )     RM-8648
Operations in the 5 GHz Frequency Range   )     RM-8653
                                          )

                      COMMENTS OF <your name or company>

Informal comments should probably use the same format.

Hope you all get a chance to speak up on this issue.
--
I N T E R N E T       Terry Lee, Technical Director
D E S I G N           611 W. 6th St., Ste. 3201, Los Angeles, CA 90017