Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:14:08 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scripts and setuid

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:56:00AM +0200, Piet Delport wrote:

> > It is very easy to set up the environment of the parent process and
> > execute a script with certain things in the environment that will
> > cheat and have the script execute code with elevated priviledges.
>=20
> True, but isn't the same thing generally true for non-script executables
> as well?

No.

> How insecure is it, for example, to have a small setuid script (with
> basic checks in place like overriding PATH to something conservative,
> etc.) that writable only by root, and owned by root:bar, with the intent
> that users in group bar can execute it?

I forget where I saw it, but there was a tutorial which went through
about a dozen ways to gain privilege using a setuid shell script on
OSes which allow it.  It's just too easy.

> I'm very probably missing something important (if so, please enlighten
> me), but how is the the above much worse than having a similar setuid
> binary doing the same?

Setuid binaries ignore all dangerous environment variables and so
(modulo implementation bugs) can't be controlled by the attacker to
gain privilege.  Setuid shell scripts don't.

Kris

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL--