Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 12:17:39 -0700
From:      Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The ultimate board!

Hi Everybody,

Me again.... Also, please note that my website is up again.

Everett F Batey wrote:

> For me, better question yet:  What would it cost to combine enough
> disk, user account builder,  webserver, DNS, proxyserver, add FreeBSD,
> OpenBSD or Linux to a footprint like a small Cisco 1600 or slightly
> racksize larger Cisco 2500/2600 with ipfilter, ipNAT, VPN and bring
> it to market for ALL the DSL and CABLE and Wireless users.  Bet it
> could be effectively marketed for less than half the cost of a
> Cisco 1600 stripped and little more than the Cadillac of the computer
> store DSL/Cable hub-routers.

That is the integrated gateway thing, just like the Whistle
Interjet.... But that was never really sold as a box only, and was
way too expensive anyway.

Just to let you know, I'm already planning the next board, which
would meet the above requirements....

It will be something like:

  200-266 Mhz. National Semiconductor Geode SC3200
  32-128 Mbyte SDRAM, soldered on board + expansion SO-DIMM
  2-4 Mbit BIOS/BOOT Flash
  CompactFLASH Type I/II socket
  UDMA33 IDE Interface, 40 pins & 44 pins.
  2-4 10/100 mbit Ethernet ports, RJ-45
  2 Serial ports, DB9
  MiniPCI type III socket. (t.ex for optional hardware encryption)
  PCI Slot, right angle 3.3V only. (t.ex for optional WAN board)
  Parallel Port, 26 pins header
  Low Power & Fanless
  Board size 5" x 7"
  Small Case with room for 2.5" drive
  Case for 1U 19" rackmount, with room for 2 x 3.5" drives

Software:

  comBIOS for full headless operation over serial port
  PXE boot rom for diskless booting
  Designed for Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD

Specification are subject to change, and don't expect production
until 3 months from now.

Regards,

Soren