Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 1997 13:21:47 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: E-1 ?

At 01:21 PM 4/6/97 -0400, dennis wrote:
>At 06:41 PM 4/6/97 +0000, Richard Gresek wrote:
>>Hallo,
>>
>>we are an ISP in Germany and have an Request for Proposal from an US
>>Company for theit subsidiary here.
>>They are asking for an E-1 service.
>>
>>Can someone tell me what exactly E-1 in the US means?
>
>E-1 is the Europeon equivalent of T1, although its not really equivalent in
>that
>its 2.048Mbs, rather than 1.536, as they use 32 64k channels rather than 24.

There is a bit of overhead along with 24 * 64 for 1.544 Mbs.  Even this is
not set in stone, but is the guaranteed minimum rate.  I've seen up to
1.724 on one of our T1s.

E1s have 30 channels.

Still the question was missed.  There are no E1s in the US, unless someone
cares to step in and say they do and by the wording of the message, it is a
US company with a subsidiary that is *in* Germany.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990