Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:54:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        alex@comsys.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: US West Pulls Dry Copper Tarrif, Angers ISPs]

On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 23:51:58 -0700 alex huppenthal said:
>For those of us working to bring out inexpensive high bandwidth
>solutions, this bites. US West is afraid to compete on an
>even playing field. Call your Senator, write to your PUC and
>express your dissatisfaction with this action.
>
>HDSL is used by the telco's to provision T1 circuits so it
>doesn't 'interfere' with adjacent wire pairs.
>
> -Alex

Don't feel bad,  ALL the in place telcos are doing it...  If I understood
what Bell$outh has said, "The tariff may still exist, but we won't give
you the circuit..."

And well, they do have a point.  They use HDSL to carry T-1 circuits, but
HDSL isn't the same as ADSL which is what a lot of sites were putting in
place.  ADSL can effect other circuits in the same bundle, to the extent
of effectively dumping your circuit or the T-1 circuit.  It all depends
on the how many ADSL circuits are in the bundle, how many HDSL circuits
in the bundle, etc.

Having said that, I still think it sucks.  Bell$outh is competing with
ISP's to the point of signing up customers when they order a 2nd line
("And will you be using that 2nd line with your computer?  Yes, well
you need to sign up for Bellsouth.net for Internet service.  Please hold
and I will switch you to that desk...")

Most of the telco's are crying that it's unfair to let all those CAPs
in now, before we get all the rules sorted out,  But, you need to let
us (Bellsouth) go ahead and compete with everybody else for internet,
long distance, video, etc...

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting