Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:01:49 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody working on devd?

> I'd also point out that devfsd, in my world view, dealt with dev_t,
> while devd dealt with device_t.

I think the problem here is that the line is being drawn in the wrong place.

Yes, there are a group of different things which need to be considered;

However, all of these group under the single heading of "dynamic
changes in system configuration".  And it would be highly desirable to
group the policies that react to these changes in a single place, and
manage them with a single tool.

The alternative is a confusing mess.

So, yes, we want a generic event-responsive architecture.  And yes, we
need to be able to script the responses to these events accordingly.  And
whether we call this facility "devd" or "devfsd" or "theamazingmancinid" is
IMO immaterial.

There are a couple of well-understood sets of event-response sets already:

 - new dev_t
 - new device_t
 - new media / media ejection request

and probably several more that I've left out.  Let's quite the
squabbling over what the damn application is going to be called and
get on with implementing something do to the work, ok?