Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 09:00:14 -0500
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@webwizard.org.mx>
To:        Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
Cc:        Stephan Mantler <step@imagination.at>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fun with route(8) ...

Eddie Irvine wrote:

> Stephan Mantler wrote:
>
> > I'm experiencing a surprising amount of trouble with our local routing
> > configuration. Basically, we have a freebsd box with three interfaces:
> > 192.168.1.1/24 and 192.168.2.1/24 to the local subnets and one for
> > the uplink. The problem is that the next-hop router is on a different
> > class C subnet than the gateway's uplink interface (which is a /32
> > address).
> >
> > the gateway is running 2.2CAM-19980716-SNAP (on top of 2.2.7).
> >
> > Let's say the gateway's external interface was 194.123.123.250, and
> > the uplink 194.123.128.10/24.
> >
> > So what we tried was:
> > route add -host 194.123.128.10 194.123.123.250 -interface
> > route add -net default 194.123.128.10
> >
> > result: couldn't even ping the uplink. second route doesn't work,
> > 'network unreachable' (why is that? according to the man pages,
> > -interface specifies that the dst is directly reachable!). specifying
> > the interface name as the gateway address (ie. route add -host
> > 194.128.128.10 -interface xl2) didn't work either.
> >
> > after endless hours of poking around, i finally found a way to trick
> > freebsd into doing the right thing:
> >
> > - ifconfig the uplink interface to /16
> > - add routes (works now, bsd believes they are on the same subnet)
> > - ifconfig interface back to /32
> >
> > what am i missing out? (this ugly hack can't be the only way, right?)
> >
> > thanks in advance for any comments/help,
> > -step.
>
> Umm, since no one else has replied yet... I kinda thought that
> the IP router closest to you HAD to be on the same IP subnet as
> your interface. What IP number is at the other end or your gateway
> interface?
>
> Let me know how you get on.
>
> Eddie.

I've done this with disorganized cable companies with no ill effects with a
lot of strange subnets and various gateways and no load balancing.  It is a
"quick and dirty" solution.  This is a little unsual that two ends of a
cable be on two different class "c"'s.  Mine have been /30 or /28 on a
class c and I have used the complete class c on the interface to te able to
choose the better GW.  What I have never  tried is to bring it back to the
original netmask.  I never needed to and wouldn't have thought that it
would work.

ed