Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 2010 21:35:33 +0100
From:      Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
Cc:        Jian Jun Wang <wangjianjun@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdm background picture missing

Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Jian Jun Wang <wangjianjun@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Any suggestion on stepsto solve the problem?
>>

> Follow the steps in /usr/ports/UPDATING when you are updating ports.
>
> Another option would be to pkg_delete * and install everything again from
> ports.  There are good instructions for this in the portmaster man page.

I've always had good success with ports-mgmt/portmanager

#cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmanager
#make install clean
#rehash
#cd

then portmanager -s to tell you what needs upgrading, eg
#portmanager -s > portmanager.status
#portmanager -l -u
to actually do it. See the man page for more options.

I extract a list of ports that are not "CURRENT" from portmanager.status
then cycle through them doing 'make config' in each ports directory so
that portmanager can be left to run unattended, eg (assuming csh)
#foreach i ( `cat ports_to_upgrade`)
foreach? cd /usr/ports/$i
foreach? make config
foreach? cd
foreach? end
#

where ports_to_upgrade contains something like
converters/libiconv
devel/gettext
databases/mysql51-client
databases/mysql51-server
devel/m4
misc/help2man
sysutils/tmux
databases/p5-DBD-mysql51
audio/mpg123
x11/dri2proto

Note upgrading ports can take a long time, even days if you have lots of
ports and a slow machine. You can quite happily interrupt portmanager
though and start it again later (but see the man page for a caveat).

I haven't tested on the bump from jpeg7 to jpeg8 but mostly portmanager
just works.

Chris