Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 20:24:42 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WARNING: later VAIOs (eg: PCG-F690) with ATI chipsets == trouble

"Michael C . Wu" wrote:
> Do you mean PCG-F590? F690 does not seem to exist on www.sony.com.
> What exactly are the ATI chipsets?  The newer VAIO laptops
> all use Neomagic 256XL+ for their video chips. (unless I am wrong)

Nope. It is a PCG-F690.  Most stores dont even have it on display yet,
and it doesn't seem to be on www.sony.com yet.  But it is a F690, not a
590.  The 690 has a 1400x1050 display and an ATI rage mobility graphics
chipset, *not* a Neomagic.

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 09:29:26AM +0800, Peter Wemm scribbled:
> | The problem comes from having an 80K video bios (0xc0000 -> 0xd3ffff).
> | This breaks two things:
> |
> | 1: the default pccard (oldcard) address is 0xd0000 and overlaps with the
> | rom, which causes pccardd to see garbage instead of the CIS>
>
> Ah, this explains why I cannot get oldcard to work.  However, have
> you gotten oldcard or newcard to work with another memory address?
> If so, what iomem did you use?

0xd40000 is the first available space for me, so I used that.  Just use
hd /dev/mem | more and read it. :-)

> | 2: XFree86 carefully calculates the size of the ROM, and then memcpy's
> | all 80K of it onto a 64K stack buffer.  Sigh.
>
> Does this patch just fix the video support? or does it also
> resolve the pccard problem?  I will test it tonight.

In the Xserver, and only for the ATI chips. It makes no difference for the
pccard code.

> | After getting over the initial hurdles, I'm pretty happy with it.  It isn't
> | quite a Dell Inspiron 5000e, but it is close enough.. :-)
>
> Bah, Let JHB keep his 1600x1200 15in screen. :-)

Mine isn't quite that high.  1400 isn't quite wide enough for three
xterms across.  And the max mem is 256k instead of 512k like the i5000e.
Other than that it seems pretty similar.

Cheers,
-Peter