Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 03:23:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Stranger Bone <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Steve Howe <hmmm@ice-bbs.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: un-ethical isp

On 3 Feb 1997, Steve Howe wrote:

> Dear FreeBSDers,
>
> because of your excellent OS and superb knowledge, i/we decided to use
> FreeBSD in projects for the government subcontracting starting about 2
> years ago.  an associate and boss became upset due to their fear of
> UNIX and a sort of conspiracy developed ...

Ack!

> anyway - unbeknownst to me, the owners of my isp (alaska.net) were former
> associates this vengeful/ignorant co-worker and boss, and together
> (as i came close to finishing a project way ahead of their NT
> project) they (isp) engaged in ping flooding all my machines
> on my networks, grinding all my work to a complete halt for
> a week, and additionally, after tracing the source of the
> pinging and sending some nasty email, my isp transferred
> all my email i had ever written on my personal/private
> account to my boss and co-worker for review, ie, they
> were looking for some goodies to get rid of me.
> they hired private investigators, etc. but i
> was squeaky clean, although things have
> become miserable enough to quit. :)

I'll bet.

> ANYWAY - my question is, although my lawyer says my isp may be
> liable for slander, is there any other recourse i can take for
> them giving 2 1/2 years of my email from my personal/private
> account to my boss and co-workers?  i wouldn't want laws,
> but i despise un-ethical behaviour such as this!

Laws are good sometimes.  Look up privacy laws, but I think the whole 'net
thing is too new for any laws to have been passed on it.  Check state
laws.

I would suggest you write some mail to alternet, which is alaska.net's
provider (if I read my traceroute output correctly).  Mention how much
grief alaska.net has caused you and casually let drop the fact that you've
retained a lawyer.  I wouldn't be surprised if alaska.net shortly finds
itself without an IP feed.

You can probably get alaska.net for the ping attacks under some computer
vandalism law, I think there's a federal law that'll help you.

Also, hire a better lawyer.  He or she should know this stuff, I'm just a
college student and I could probably find you several grounds for suit.

> it included health information related to my family,
> love letters :), thoughts, etc.  all kinds of stuff
> you'd never want anyone to see!

My sympathy goes out to you.

> (pgp? - well not everyone i wrote to can use it!)
>
> thanks ...  please mail to hmmm@ice-bbs.net.

(Use a reply-to header!)

> a friend/co-worker is allowing me use of this
> account as i have no isp currently ...

Mail me privately about setting you up a telnet-accessible account on my
machine, at least you'll have a mail drop of your own.  Doesn't cost.

> --
> | Standard disclaimer: The views of the users are strictly their own.
> | ICE BBS Network  +1-907-346-2371 (ANSI, 28.8k, FREE E-MAIL!).

 Ben

The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation
Board of Queensland, Australia.