Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 17:28:11 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java IDEs

I should have mentioned that I intend to use the IDB with FreeBSD native JDK
1.2.2 (patchset 8 and future patchsets).  So I would like information only
on IDEs that will run under FreeBSD (preferably native).

Inprise claims that JBuilder is built entirely in pure Java for portability,
but they have only released a Windows, Linux and Solaris version so far.
Wouldn't it be therefore be possiblem, and not too difficult to make
JBuilder Foundation a port to run (native) under FreeBSD?  I have a good
friend at Inprise, and I would try my hand at making a port (possibly with
Inprise help) if anyone thinks that that would be useful.

I looked at the JBuilder website and there are 3 versions: Foundation
(free), Professional ($799), and Enterprise ($2,500).  Similarly, Sun is
releasing Forte for Java Community Edition (free), and plans to release an
Internet Edition and Enterprise Edition, which I assume will likely be
priced like Inprise's JBuilder Professional and Enterprise, respectively.
For both, EJB development seems to be mostly regulated to the high-end
Enterprise products.

IBM has a free "Entry Edition" of VisualAge for Java but from their website
( http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/Data/Document2590 ) it seems that it
is based on JDK 1.1.7.  An "Early Adopters" Entry Edition IDE for JDK 1.2 is
available only for Windows.  Like Sun and Inprise, IBM also offers
Professional and Enterprise editions.  IBM offers no support for the the
Entry Edition -- does Sun or Inprise have some support (via email?)

Is there much difference between JBuilder Foundation, Forte Community
Edition (leaving out IBM for the moment because of an apparent lack of JDK
1.2.2 support in their free IDE)?   For example, both Inprise and Sun seem
to reserve EJB development to the high-end Enterprise products.  How easy is
it to install these IDE's?  I assume that they only run on FreeBSD under
Linux emulation.

Are there any other IDE's worth looking into?

John