Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:12:58 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <lists@wm-access.no>
To:        rtsit <rtsit@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD 4.9-Release resetting itself!

rtsit wrote:
[...snip...]

> Oct  9 21:40:55 nfs2 /kernel: ad0: READ command
> timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> Oct  9 21:40:55 nfs2 /kernel: ata0: resetting devices
> .. ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or
> device
>
> All I can figure is that the FreeBSD system is trying
> to read/write to ad0 (my primary HD) and there's an
> error of some sort, so it waits a bit and then resets
> the entire system.
>
> When I do an fsck, it comes out fine. So it's
> definately some sort of weird intermittent problem.
>
> Is my HD toast, or is FreeBSD acting stupid
> unnecessarily?

Have had this with an older type IDE cable on a DMA capable system.
Also i've had this when a IDE controller was about to break down and
when the disk itself was about to break down.

If the system is running fine for a year and you havent really done
anything big to it like updating it. I'd say that it is likely that your
HD is going to be toast.

Why it resets i do not know.
--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal