Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:07:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org (Michael Lucas)
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: laptop article out

+--- Michael Lucas wrote:

| Hello,
|
| My pccard article has been published at:
|
| http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/11/02/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
|
| I want to thank everyone on -mobile who reviewed this for me.

I'm a BSD rookie, I didn't feel experienced enough to review your
article, but after reading it I have one minor point:  laptop hardware
isn't a constant - verify the hardware in the actual machine that you
are going to carry out of the store.  I worked support for a *NIX-like
OS, and like FreeBSD, device support wasn't the greatest.  A major
problem was that 2 machines with the same make and model could have
different components inside.  Nowadays things are a little better with
spec sheets that say "Neomagic model ABC-123" as opposed to "Video
card", but you should still be wary.

Good work Michael - your articles have been a big help to me.

PS - Compaq laptops & PCs used to store BIOS info ON THE HARD DISK - if
you repartition your drive for a new OS, goodbye! Avoid at all costs :)

--
Steve Tremblett
Cisco Systems