Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 05:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/18792: date man page has misleading description of -r option

The following reply was made to PR docs/18792; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To: Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, bobj@atlantic.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:47:42 +0100

 Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

 > Yeah, the change might make it more clear for non native english
 > speakers (and probably the english ones as well).
 >
 > It looks clearer to me.
 >
 > But don't forget that:
 >
 > [8:36] [asmodai@daemon] (356) $ date ?
 > date: illegal time format
 > usage: date [-nu] [-d dst] [-r seconds] [-t west] [-v[+|-]val[ymwdHMS]] ...
 >             [-f fmt date | [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.ss]] [+format]
 >
 > You cannot change the function arguments (.Fa) around for sake of
 > clarity, since it would now conflict with the shown arguments. =)

 hmm, ok.  I suppose .c files are out of my allowed area?

 > I am sure you can find another wording for the paragraph which solves

 I thought of something like

 "Print the date and time which is the specified number of seconds from the
 Epoch."

 but then you wouldn't be showing the function argument (with .Ar
 seconds) so that might not be right.  If you used .Ar on the 'seconds'
 in that sentence it wouldn't be right either.

 "Print the data and time which is the specified time, _seconds_, from the
 Epoch."

 A bit better, perhaps.

 --
 Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D