Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 22:19:57 +1200
From:      Uacmebbs@massey.ac.nz
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

>From outpost.co.nz!crh Mon Jun  8 14:25:02 1998 remote from acme.gen.nz
From: "Craig Harding" <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:08:47 +1200
Subject: Problems with ddp_route console messages: a solution.

There has been occasional traffic in recent months about people using
appletalk getting lots(!) of console messages of the form "ddp_route:
still no valid route to host" or "ddp_route: oops", with responses
generally of the form "ignore it, it's not serious". I thought I'd
add my experiences here for the interested and for anyone else who
encounters this and searches through the mail archives for a
solution.

We've got a very small network (1 mac, 2 Win95 PCs, one FreeBSD
server) and use the FreeBSD box as a general purpose everything
(news, mail, dialup internet access etc) server, including
fileserving for the Mac and PCs using CAP and Samba. Since recently
upgrading from 2.2.2 to 2.2.6 (I usually only manage to install from
every second CD set I get) we started having problems with file
transfers to/from the Mac becoming very slow. Like, taking an hour(!)
for a 3MB graphics file.

Upon eventually discovering the ddp_route error messages on the
console, I searched the mail archives with little success (and my
knowledge of Appletalk networking grew from zero to a little bit)
until finding a note in bugs that someone had very recently
commented out these error messages in stable I did the same thing to
my kernel and immediately saw a dramatic improvement in throughput
(that 3MB file save operation went back down to a normal 30sec).

Anyway, just thought I'd note that here in the hope that others
having a similar problem will find this message useful, and to note
the impact of seemingly innocent kernel printf statements on a less
than state of the art machine (P75, only 16MB of RAM, doing way too
many things at once).

						-- C.
--
Craig Harding         Head of Postproduction, Outpost Digital Media Ltd
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly