Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 22:35:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: supermicro p6sns/p6sas

In article <199709280516.WAA04321.kithrup.freebsd.hardware@mindbender.serv.net> you write:
>Socket 8 indeed appears to have been a limited detour.  Slot 1 may in
>time be superceeded by something better.  But it has much more
>potential than Socket 8 at this point in time.

Is Socket 8 the P6 thing?

Slot 1 is dead.  Intel has admitted that it will be replaced by a Slot Two
very soon.

The big advantage of Slot One is -- it's patented.  Nobody but Intel can make
a Slot One formfactor module.  In fact, nobody could make a Slot One capable
motherboard without Intel's permission.

I've already stated my opinions about Intel in regards to this, previously,
so I won't do so again.

>Socket 7, however, has some serious bandwidth problems.

AMD's electrical engineers say they have ways to do it.  You'll have to get
a new motherboard, and I don't know how compatible it will be, but they say
they can do it.

Since I don't do hardware, I generally take their words at it :).

Reply to me, or to the list; please don't do both.