Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 20:50:44 -0600
From:      David Elliott <dfe@netnitco.net>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, wine-devel@winehq.com
Subject:   Re: I'm afraid you broke Wine on FreeBSD 3.3

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, David Elliott wrote:
> > Sorry about that.  It is due to the header files having an ifdef linux
> > around them.
>
> Seriously, code like
>
>   #ifdef linux
>   /* Copy of info from 2.2.x kernel */
>   #define SG_MAX_SENSE 16   /* too little, unlikely to change in 2.2.x */
>
> really seems quite bad to me! One should never just copy code from system
> headers and I really think Alexandre never should have approved something
> like that.
>
> As a matter of fact I have been disappointed several times lately when
> Alexandre applied patches that broke Wine on non-Linux platforms due to
> typos or "there's nothing apart from Linux" coding. :-(
>
> What's the purpose of an extremely strict development model if even the
> simplest such issues are not caught during patch review?
>
> Anyway, the patch below brings Wine back into buildworld on FreeBSD 3.4.
>
> Gerald

Actually, that is not at all Alexandre's fault.  While I didn't like the idea of
copying kernel headers, that was how it was originally done.  Basically all I did
was move the Linux headers out of aspi.h and into winescsi.h but then forgot the
appropriate ifdef's in the new file source file I created.

I'll go ahead and send that patch to wine-patches then.

I suppose we could require kernel headers and do a configure test for them and
stuff.  With a modern distribution you should have kernel headers installed even if
you don't have the kernel source. You can do that in RedHat at least, I would assume
other distros have similar packaging designs.

-Dave