Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2010 14:32 -1000
From:      "Gary Dunn" <osp@aloha.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does NAT require DNS (named)?

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:05:12 -0400 mikel king <mikel.king@olivent.com> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Gary Dunn wrote:
>
>> Continuing the saga of building a wireless access point, what is the
>> best way to provide DNS service to the dowstream network? Seems like
>> all I need is a simple pass-through. For that named seems like
>> overkill. Anyone have an /etc/named/named.conf that does that?
>

> Depends on how your internal LAN is configured. Generally if there are
> no internal servers then you can forgo deploying a DNS server. Simply
> setup your firewall IPFW or pf or whatever you are using to allow
> clients to go out to the net and look names up. You will likely need a
> dhcp server though so that your wireless clients can auto-discover the
> appropriate network settings, but you can elect to do that manually as
> well if it's your
> desire.

I failed to mention that the same FreeBSD box will provide file and printer =
services via Samba, all clients will be Windows Vista, and there will bo no =
other servers on the downstream network. I cannot rely on clients editing =
their LMHOSTS files ... I need plug and play. Do I need a DNS server on the =
downstream network for Windows clients to connect to Samba?
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp@aloha.com