Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:11:08 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        David Nixon <david.nixon@mantech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Attachments request -OOOOOPS

David Nixon wrote:

> Oh, a pissing contest.

Yes, you do seem to have started one, unfornately.  Do try not to do it
again.

> Inserting hard carriage returns at every 80 characters (right hand
> margin) is neither a standard nor a requirement.

Sigh.  Who said it was either?  It's just common sense.  Shorter lines
are easier to read.  Do you think newspapers print their articles in
multiple columns just for fun?  Anyway, read this extract from RFC 1855 and
shut up:

    - Don't run off the end of a line and simply let the terminal wrap;
      use a Carriage Return (CR) at the end of the line.  Also, don't
      assume your screen size is the same as everyone else's.  A good
      rule of thumb is to write out no more than 70 characters, and no
      more than 12 lines (since you're using a split screen).

Is that good enough?

> Be kind enough to explain to me why vi has set as a default NOT to
> insert carriage returns at the right margin.

Vi is used for things other than writing mail, did that ever occur to
you?  Line wrapping in configuration files and such is a pain.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D