Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2001 01:53:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/30203: description of security profiles in FAQ is just plain wrong

[ it's becoming OT even for chat...]

Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in> wrote:

> doesn't
> >
> > >Actually, the subject is "each", which is singular.  I'm pretty sure
>
> > >Michael is right on this one.
> >
> > As others have pointed out, this is essentially correct.
> >
> > More precisely, "each of" is used before a pronoun or determiner (the,
> my,
> > those...); the pronoun or noun is plural. As subject, "each of +
> plural
> > expression" is *usually* followed by a singular verb; however, the
> verb can
> > be plural in an informal style.
> >
> > The use of "each" makes us think of things/people "separately". This
> explains
> > why "nearly every + countable noun" is preferred to "nearly each +
> (countable
> > noun)"; it also explains the (normal) singular verb in the foregoing.
>
> But it's also singular for "every" -- for instance, "nearly every
> sheep has four legs" where "sheep" and "has" are both singular.  But
> it would be plural with "all".  When you prefer a plural, you'd
> probably say "what all of the security profiles do" but in this case
> that's probably inappropriate.  Also it leads to ambiguity: do you
> mean they all do it together, or any one of them does it?

Sorry for the unwanted implication. When "every" determines the (singular)
head of a subject noun phrase, a singular verb IS required.

BTW, there are slight differences in meaning between "every" and "each",
illustrated in these nice examples (cf M. Swan, Practical English Usage, 2nd
edition, OUP, 1995):

-- The business makes less money each/every year. [year, NOT years]
-- She had a child holding on to each hand. [Only "each" is possible]

-- Each person in turn went to see the doctor. [Think different^Wseparate]
-- He gave every patient the same medicine. [closer to "all"]

In a more "anonymous" context, the last sentence might become: "Every patient
was given the same medicine".

> > > The prepositional phrase "of the security profiles" confuses things
> > > bit.  A trick that my seventh-grade English teacher Mrs. Cantrell
> taught
> > > me was to take out the prepositional phrase (which is optional in a
> > > structural sense anyways) and see if the sentence still seems
> > > correct...in this case, "each [...] does" vs. "each [...] do".
> >
> > Sorry, but Mrs Cantrell was plain wrong. :-)
> >
> > The reasons originate in syntax, as it were, interwoven with
> semantics, "a
> > number of people are wrong" being a trivial counter-example.
>
> It certainly *sounds* wrong but that's perhaps more to do with common
> usage than formal rules of syntax or semantics.  That is, the word
> "number" could grammatically be a collective noun, but here the phrase
> "a number of people" is normally taken as a single, plural unit with a
> specific connotation (you won't replace "a" with "the" in the next
> sentence, for instance).  This roughly agrees with what your faq says.

Ooops, maybe I used an obscure expression. :-)

In "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language", Longman, 1985, R. Quirk
discusses concord (also termed agreement) at some lenght, introducing:

1) the principle of grammatical concord: singular subject, singular verb;
2) the principle of notional concord: singular subject with plural meaning,
plural verb;
3) the principle of proximity (also termed attraction): "agreement of the verb
with a closely preceding noun phrase that functions as subject".

Difficulties over concord arise through occasional conflict between 1) and the
other principles. A few examples from Quirk's book:

-- The government have broken all their promises. <British English>
                  ^^^^            ^^^^^
[Notional concord prevailing over grammatical concord]

-- ?No one except his own supporters agree with him. [Proximity principle
reinforced by notional concord. It is the reason for a number of mistakes, as
Mrs. Cantrell had noticed. "?" means that native speakers are unsure about
acceptability]

-- Ten dollars is all I have left. [Notional concord. "That amount is..."]
               ^^
-- Fifteen years represents a long period of his life. [Notional concord]
                 ^^^^^^^^^^

At the phrase level:

-- That/these five dollars; this/these last few weeks; every few miles; each
ten ounces; another two days; a happy three months...

Other interesting examples:

-- More than one member has protested against the proposal.
-- Many a member has protested against the proposal.

[Grammatical concord conflicting with notional concord. The noun head is seen
as singular ("member"), which determines concord. Cf "More members than one
have protested..." or "Many members have protested..."]

> Collective nouns aren't clear-cut too; I was having an argument with
> someone once about this.  Do you say "the committee has met" or "the
> committee have met"?  He said the English prefer the latter (today, at
> least) and the Americans prefer the former.

In British English, the plural is used (well, it is more likely) when a group
seen as a collection of individuals; the singular when a group is seen as a
whole.

-- The audience were enjoying every minute of it. [The plural is more likely,
since attention is directed at the individual reactions]

Cf:

-- The audience was enormous. [The plural here might imply
enormous people :-)]

Americans do prefer the singular. However, they also sometimes use the plural:

-- The couple are happily married. [Cf Each couple was asked to complete a
form]

-- The public has a right to know. [But also: "have a right to know"]
-- The committee has not yet decided how they should react to the Governor's
letter.                                  ^^^^

Yet another example from Quirk's awesomemegasuperbloated book (1,800 pages):

-- Danish bacon and eggs makes a good solid English breakfast. [A single meal]
-- Danish bacon and eggs sell very well in London.

<snip>

Since English has a reduced morphology (no declensions; almost no
conjugation), certain people think that it is an easy (!) language. As you may
imagine, a good number of grammar rules (eg determiners, tense & aspect,
consecutio temporum, etc) are quite different in Italian. It is NOT easy to
"just sound natural". My only consolation being that nobody speaks English
perfectly. :-)

-- Salvo