Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:46:12 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: cdrom boot?

Eric L. Hernes writes:
> Peter Childs writes:
>>
>> There was a decently long thread on this that is probably in
>> the archives if you want more pointers/matterial/background to
>> help you out.
>
> I started a thread a couple months back on cdrom booting.  Since then
> I discovered that even though my motherboard's bios indicates that
> they support cdrom booting, they don't.  Plus management has lost
> interest in booting to CD, for now anyway.  I might be able to drum
> up a little support for it in the future.

Are you talking about your management?

> The gist of that thread was that the El-Torito spec was done in
> the true pc-hardware style.. a pile of crap.

Now why does that sound familiar?

> It provides several ways of making a CD bootable, ranging from
> `total hackery' to `the right way'.  Now doesn't that sound familiar
> wrt specs? ;-)

Hmm.  I don't understand the format of the documents at www.ptltd.com,
so I can't read the stuff, but the impression that I got from the c't
article was that it was pretty straightforward.  They were able to get
their stuff to boot, anyway.

I still think it would be a good selling point for FreeBSD 2.2 to have
directly bootable CD-ROMs.  I'm sure the guys at Walnut Creek CDROM
would love it, too.

Greg