Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 1997 14:20:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

> No, it doesn't take any Real Work(c).  Sysinstall already allows
> the user to read docs before beginning the install.  A short
> blurb can be added to one of those docs.  I don't think the
> README would be unsuitable (although I can envision arguments
> against it).

Sorry, but I'm afraid that's just naive. :-(

Adding docs only helps about 10% of the population - it's a worthwhile
percentage and don't think that this is me saying that I'm against
adding docs, I'm not.  I'm simply saying that the great majority of
users don't even read the docs currently provided.  Reading docs takes
an active step on the user's part, and users don't want to take such
steps as a general rule - they want the installation process to do
that and simply ask them questions if a configuration issue comes up.

And if it sounds like I'm selling the users short on this, trust me -
I'm not. :-( I've done front-line tech support for long enough to know
that people just don't read the floppy docs and, if you're lucky,
might take a peek at README.TXT before diving in.  I probably answer
the questions which are documented in full detail in *.TXT more often
than any of the others.

					Jordan