Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 18:39:28 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        anderson@centtech.com, cjuniet@entreview.com, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 07:55:38AM -0700, Ross Lippert wrote:
[...]
> Since we are proposing an experiment, and since the contents will be
> biased (in either review or testimonial form), perhaps we should start
> by putting up little articles on our own homepages, and convincing
> others on doc to do so, make september the "write about your fav app
> month".  We can submit URLs to be linked to from FreeBSD.org, and if
> it takes off and we end up with an explosion of articles (say by
> January or else assume we failed), we move to phase II, which
> necessarily involves more indexing and organization, perhaps more
> automated feedback to authors.  If momentum keeps up, I don't see why
> it could not be made part of freebsd.org or the /usr/doc as long as a
> big fat disclaimer for bias is present.  Not to mention that if this
> experiment ever becomes "official" we can ask people involved in projects
> or port-maintainers if they wouldn't mind jotting down some power-user
> notes on their apps.

Is it the role of The FreeBSD Project to provide docs about third party
applications that are not FreeBSD specific? Does a doc about mutt has
his place in FreeBSD's docs?
Ports give a link to the application homepage, it's already a good start
to find doc, and install the documentation pages (manual pages and other
info files).

> How does that sound to you?

When the use/configuration of the app is really FreeBSD specific, for
me, it deserves a specific doc when the author of the app does not
provide it, and does not support FreeBSD. It was done for many
commercial apps coming with Linux binaries for example.

> Oh another source for "good ports" info:
> I think bsdtoday.org has some howto's on it for things like VMWare and
> stuff, but I'm sure it is just an archive with no one maintaining it
> -- yet it remains my first resource for setting up VMWare, I know no
> other.  There should be another.

It's an example of application that needs a "FreeBSD doc".
I wrote in past for the FreeBSDZine a doc about VMware2 and I can affirm
it was 99% of FreeBSD specific informations.

There is a site that publishes docs about FreeBSD and about use of some
applications, with a possible feedback to authors, it's
http://www.freebsddiary.org/. The owner of that site runs
http://freshports.org/ too. Maybe something is possible about extra docs
on ports apps etc.

Marc