Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 03:10:40 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA and UDMA

C J Michaels wrote:

> I had a similar problem.  I don't know if this will apply to you at all
> but maybe it'll help.
>
> 1. System bios has drive listed as LBA.

I have to check BIOS. I'm not sure what it'll say; I'm running it
remotely right now...

> 2. Dangeriously dedicated disk.

Hmmm... I don't use a dedicated disk (well I do, but "dangerously
dedicated"; here's the disklabel):
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:   128520        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   #
(Cyl.    0 - 7)
  b:   321300   128520      swap                        #
(Cyl.    8 - 27)
  c: 19746720        0    unused        0     0         #
(Cyl.    0 - 1229*)
  f: 19296900   449820     vinum                        # (Cyl.
28 - 1229*)

The odd thing is that both disk are completely identical in
config etc.

> So... I wiped the disk and the mbr.  Explicitly set the drive to large in
> the bios.  Re-installed and all my errors went away, using UDMA w/o any
> troubles at all.  I dunno if this applies to you at all, but I thought I'd
> make the post.

Hmm... This might help, but I don't like the idea... Since I'm
using vinum, I guess I *could* just wipe it out and then connect
it and restore it inside vinum...

$ sysctl hw.atamodes
hw.atamodes: dma,---,pio,---,

This seems to keep it stable... Odd...