Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:10:30 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        misterweb <zaph0d@misterweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHA2940/Compaq 1 gig drive related question

> Currently i'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7, and it works great. Except I have to
> be there to boot it.
>
> The reason for that is, whenever it comes up, instead of going to the
> correct drive to get the kernel (at the boot: prompt), I have to press F5,
> then F1, to get to a prompt. THen it wants to goto ID 1 to boot. I want it
> to goto ID 0.

That makes it sound like you don't have any bootblocks on sd0.  What's
on the first menu?

Also, booteasy should remember your selections, so once you've hit F1/
F5, it should remember and do it itself next time.  If it's not, you've
got some really basic problems with your system.

You can control what the bootstrap boots by default by sticking the boot
string in /boot.config in the a partition of the first FreeBSD slice on
the disk that the bootstrap comes from, eg. 'sd(0,a)/kernel'.