Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 96 20:00 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sup%d is broken - I agree

[11]"Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
[11]I think that a method of reliably replicating the collections between
[11]servers is in order.  I'm not positive that all our servers are using the
[11]same lists and even if they are, there's no guarantee that a change to the
[11]collections on Freefall will propogate.  I'll set something up later this
[11]week that will make the whole process automatic for the "child" sup sites.
[11]The supserver kit will become four files: supfile, supfile.conf,
[11]customize.sh, README.

As I understand sup, it doesn't look for changes the instant you pull
stuff down, but does a scan at regular intervals.  If that is true,
read on.

I remember a tool that would cut a snapshot of a directory structure and
a file of checksums that could be used to make sure the tree is intact.
(It may have been an alias for a "find | sum" combination, I don't recall.)

Why not have some other app generate a sanity file just prior to sup
synchronizing itself?  The file would contain the "correct" tree
structure, along with checksums of the files.  Then the file would be
available to both the mirrors (and mortals), would get sup'ed down as
any other file, and could be used for detecting incomplete, corrupted,
absent and extra files in their local trees by running a similar
scan locally.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
	  ^------(this is the fastest route)|"A what?"
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983