Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 11:50:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Mike Dugas <mad@inr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Qmail/POP Before SMTP

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Mike Dugas wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7 with Qmail 1.03 installed.  I'm trying to
> configure the open-smtp package from the Qmail web site to use POP before
> SMTP relaying... As part of the package I need to compile the
> "checkpassword" program with a patch... Every time I try to do this, I get
> this error:

First, qmail is available as a port:

(cd /usr/ports/mail/qmail && make all install) but if you insist on
compiling it yourself, read on...

> checkpassword.o: Undefined symbol `_crypt' referenced from text segment
> *** Error code 1

You need to compile with -lcrypt to include the FreeBSD crypto library.

> And, from what I can see, its true :-) checkpassword.c has an extern for
> *crypt, but I can't find it in any of the includes anywhere...

See above.

> Has anyone had this same problem?  Or does someone have a better solution
> for POP before SMTP with Qmail?

You might want to check out: http://www.freebsd.org/ports/mail.html

- bill fumerola [root/billf]@chc-chimes.com - computer horizons corp -
-  ph:(800)252.2421 x128 / bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - BF1560  -

	"Logic, like whiskey, loses its beneficial effect
	when taken in too large quantities" -Lord Dunsany