Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:34:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        mav@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mount root from SD card?

In message: <4976E2C2.4090002@FreeBSD.org>
            Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: Alexander Motin wrote:
: > Alexander Motin wrote:
: >> M. Warner Losh wrote:
: >>> In message: <20090120.122312.1543793985.imp@bsdimp.com>
: >>>             "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:
: >>> : : IMHO it is incorrect to disable 4bit mode on that stage, it is
: >>> too late : : there. It should be done at controller capabilities
: >>> announcement stage. : : If you are not objecting, I would remove that
: >>> wire4 variable.
: >>> : : I am objecting.  The code is there so that the rest of the driver
: >>> does
: >>> : the right thing when doing 4-bit.  It needs to be a capability too.
: >>> : : However, before we go monkeying with this, we need to find the
: >>> : underlying bug.
: >>>
: >>> I've got the following patch, untested, that I think does what I think
: >>> needs to be done.  Not sure about the return value from update_ios...
:
: I would prefer attached variant. It will also disable 4-bit support by
: default, but will make it properly. How do you plan to control that
: wire4 variable? With device.hints?

It is part of the board-variant work that I have in flight.  I'm not
100% sure the exact mechanism, but the meta-data about how the device
is wired will be provided by "the parent device" in some way.  I'm
still working out the details.

Warner