Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:15:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        f-mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org>, parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: dell i5000e & apm

On 15-Aug-01 Jason Andresen wrote:
> parv wrote:
>>
>> it has been long tome since i posted here...
>>
>> is there a soul here who knows if freebsd 4-stable on dell inspiron
>> 5000e can survive more than one "stand by/suspend" cycles, measured in
>> minutes, w/o hard reboots?
>>
>> last time i tried, when dell issued an bios-apm update, around may 6
>> 2001 w/ then current 4-stable version, the exercise was in futility.
>>
>> and, david wolfskil, in thread "Battery recall affecting some Dell
>> Inspiron 5000-series laptops", suggested that power management might
>> have been done by acpi instead of apm.
>>
>> is that true, or close to it? is acpi functioning in 4-stable now?
>>
>> would it be reasonable to assume that if i don't find any '*acpi*'
>> file in /usr/src (updated yesterday) then there won't be any such
>> functionality either?
>
> There is no ACPI support in -stable.  I don't think it's even working
> correctly in -current yet.  ACPI is a nasty beast, you have to get
> the entire spec implemented before any part of it really works.  It's
> big and it's nasty and it's not supported by FreeBSD at this time.
> Sorry.

Actually, acpi in current isn't all that bad.  For my i5000e, suspend/resume
works (both with the lid switch and the Fn-Esc suspend key).  The power button
invokes a shutdown -p now.. the CPU throttling when the AC adapter is removed
works, as well as battery status and temperature status.  Unfortunately the
fans don't work right on the Dell machines.  (I.e., when we try to turn fans on
or off the OS is ignored.. although the BIOS seems to still dink with them in
the background.)