Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 14:54:35 +0000
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Could FreeBSD be a viable platform for large SQL/SAP/etc enterprise applications?

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> ?   I can't uderstood you.   The question was: is the FreeBSD commerce-usable
> ? system.
> ?    I explore my opinion, without flames.
> ?    Then I receive un-argumentable flame.
>
> No, you made a number of value judgements which were poorly supported
> and, as others have already pointed out, there are JDK's which are
> every bit as complete as those for Linux and you can, in fact, simply

   as on Linux, as on FreeBSD,   jdk run quite poor.

> run the Linux JDK under FreeBSD if that's what you really want (and I
> know of several people who do this).  There's also a version of

> Netscape for FreeBSD and a number of other commercial utilities
> available from the various vendors listed on our vendor page.

> Perhaps it's merely your poor command of english at fault (and I
> really have great difficulty even understanding half of what you say)
> but it didn't look like you were doing anything more than slamming
> FreeBSD - I certainly didn't see any intelligent opinions being
> expressed in your first posting.
>
>                                         Jordan

may be.

  My own problem with FreeBSD (and motivation of my negative
 answer on question about  use FreeBSD as  in enterprise
 commerce ( -- sorry, for poor English) ) is next:

 1. I now work  in one enterprise project.
 2.  As my favorite OS is FreeBSD, I set it for  gateway,  proxy,
   and in near future -- web server.
 3.   I want to work on FreeBSD, but
      We have DB on Oracle.
      We need to develop applications on this DB,  to build
      enterprise-whide system.
       At first, I  got  Oracle drivers for thin Java client, but after looking
      on kaffe and jdk this idea was dropped.
       (Working of such applications  in browser, for many reasons,
         is the wery bad solution).

    Now I have next choice:
        1.  Got a client Oracle from SCO, and run all under SCO emulator.
            (tk/perl, c++ )
        2.  Write RPC stubs to oracle OCI.
             it is the best solution, but it require time, which we do not have.

        3.  Drop FreeBSD ans switch to SCO or PC-solaris.

    May be anybody tell me, how to be ?
    Than I will tell all, that FreeBSD good in enterprise use.

     Now we develop software for Win, and it's really aid.