Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:33:47 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Edward P. Katz" <katz@robotics.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie 3 questions.

On Sun, Jun 07, 1998 at 11:14:29PM -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> The biggest minus (performance wise) that you'll likely notice
> about FreeBSD is that we have more synchronous metadata update
> policy on our filesystems.  This can have a performance impact
> for massive filesystem manipulations.  FreeBSD consiously chooses
> the conservative policy though.

... and (as John well knows) it can be tuned to run an async policy
similar to the one in Linux.  Which policy you run is a tradeoff
between the security of synchronous metadata updates (you get the
guarantees that you don't get data crossing over from file to file
during crashes, that directories don't get totally screwed up, etc) vs
speed in massive manipulation of the filesystem (large amounts of
renames, creation of lots of small files, etc).  The default policy is
the safest of these.

Eivind.