Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:24:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
To:        David Kott <dakott@home.com>
Cc:        High Voltage <zapper@idsmail.com>, FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: @Home Connect.

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, David Kott wrote:

> That seems odd to me.  My roommate and I share the same cable modem.  We
> are not proxied as each of us have a distinct, and static IP.  @Home
> allows us to purchase additional IPs (up to 3 per household) to add
> additional computers.
> The modem is a Mot. Cybersurfer Wave.

Both times I set up cable modems on unix, they had a single IP.  The power
cycle rule applied for the single-IP config on the old (big) motorola, and
the new (small) motorola on Comcast cable system in Baltimore County, MD,
and to the system in Norfolk VA.

In both cases, we set up a BSD machine with two ethernet cards.  One
connected to teh cable modem directly, the other connected to the LAN (LAN
side is 100mbit too).  The unix machine took on the real IP, and the
100mbit network was configured with NATD (illegally for @home, but who
cares).

John